Saturday, January 7, 2012

Pork Chops with Maple Apple Acorn Squash



I'm not going to lie.  I did not make this meal up on my own.  This was a meal that evolved because I ended up getting three acorn squash from my local CoOp.  So, I googled recipes on Acorn Squash until I found one that sounded kid friendly.  This ended up being an amazing meal.  Now, if you've never hacked your way into a winter squash, be warned.  Have a sharp knife, some upper body strength, maybe some chain mail, and 911 on speed dial for when you finally break through the other side of the gourd... through your hand.  Did this happen to me?  No, but we own Pampered Chef knives.  :D  Sorry, I digress.  I have cut and pasted the recipe from the Whole Foods website, making changes where need-be to make this allergy friendly for our home.


Ingredients

2 medium acorn squash (Obviously I used three)
2 cups chopped tart apple (about 2 medium) (I used 3, and the Honeycrisp variety is PERFECT)
3 tablespoons soy free margarine, melted* 
1/4 cup maple syrup* 
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon 

3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil* 
6 (about 1 pound) thin-sliced boneless pork chops, seasoned with salt and pepper 
1 yellow onion, peeled and cut into thin slices 
1 tablespoon chopped (or dried) thyme

Method

Cut squash in half lengthwise and remove pulp. Place cut side down in a shallow baking pan. Bake at 350°F for 35 minutes.  Combine apple, butter, maple syrup and cinnamon; fill squash with mixture. Continue baking 25 minutes or until acorn squash is tender. When the squash is almost done, heat oil in a large skillet and brown chops about 3 minutes per side until cooked through. Remove and keep warm, add onion and thyme to the pan and sauté 8 to 10 minutes until soft and golden brown. Serve over pork chops alongside stuffed squash. 

2 comments:

  1. Hey Lady you won the giveaway. Send me an email so I can get you your prize!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Guess what?!? More good news, you have been selected for the Versatile Blogger award. I love your site and you are an awesome person in real life. There are rules about passing it on and you can put the award button on your site. Go to my blog and see

    ReplyDelete