Friday, November 5, 2010

Easy Mac n Cheesy Bake

Let's face it, we can't eat gourmet every day, no matter what the circumstances.  But, with an allergy we have to be cautious about which boxes of mac and cheese we pull off the shelf.  I'm very comfortable with Kraft Mac 'n Cheese (which is kindly spmf) because I know the label and I know that I don't have to reread it.  This is one those recipe's that really doesn't take much time and shakes up the Mac 'n Cheese box.  To start, cook 2 boxes Kraft Macaroni and Cheese as the package directs.  Once everything is mixed together add 1 can rinsed black beans, 1 can corn, 1 can of Rotel diced tomatoes and chili's, and 1 cup grated cheddar cheese.  Place mixture in casserole dish and sprinkle 1/2 cup grated pepperjack cheese on top.  Put in 375 oven for 15-20 minutes and serve with Kirkland's Organic Tortilla Chips on the side.  On nights where I'm running crazy I've been known to skip the last part, and everything turned out alright, just a little less melty.  Variation:  You can add 1 lb (or a little less) pre-cooked ground beef or thinly sliced pre-cooked chicken if you must have meat in this dish.  I pre-cook the beef/chicken with 1/2 an onion, 2 garlic cloves, and a handful of red/orange/yellow peppers that have been neatly diced.

No comments:

Post a Comment